From Prussia, With Love






Neither fish nor flesh, nor good red herring

Ah Grambinus.  Er, Gambinos...no...Gravitas?  Wait--Gambrinus!  I always forget the name of this place.

Whatever its called, this place makes me wax nostalgic for Central Europe.  Right after college, I spent 6 months holed up in a small apartment in Budapest overlooking the Danube.  In other words, I have a soft spot in my heart for watered down foreign lagers, shitty service, and goulash.  Three things this place excels at providing.

The beer selection is impressive--17 on tap, and gobs more in the bottle.  On this occasion I drank a Zywiec from Poland.  Mmmmm...you can really taste the Soviet repression in each swig.  

The food is good, not great, but regionally authentic with large portions.  My personal favorite is the marinated herring, served with house-pickled beets, garlic-fried potatoes, and covered in onions.  Guaranteed to cut your chances with the opposite sex by 50%.  On this trip I also had the Russian sausage, which was mediocre.  The sausage was overcooked and tough.  I blame this on Vladimir Putin.

The only thing more authentically European than the beer and the food, is the service.  Its stereotypically bad, but done with a delightful accent.  My advice for those who insist on complaining about it:  be more aggressive, and stop whining.  Pretend you are in Europe and act like an overbearing American.

Not without its flaws,
Bistro G. nonetheless gets a positive review.  Like my mother used to always say: "Lower your expectations, and you will rarely be disappointed".

No comments:

Post a Comment